Friday, April 30

My Top 10 Helen Favorites!!!

This is so difficult for me! I have to narrow down countless of Helen classics into a Top 10. Is that even possible?! Anyway, with a whole bunch of deliberation with myself I have come up with this list.

So in no particular order, My Top 10 Helen favorites are:

1. Yeh Mera Dil from Don


Who can forget Helen dancing in this song? That white costume. Those blue eyes. That brunette hair. She is a vision in this song. I still don't think anyone else can pull off this song. Helen's moves are sexy yet she manages to be graceful. She plays the perfect seductress - dangerous and coy.

2. Mera Naam Chin Chin Choo from Howrah Bridge


This is Helen's first song. She is young, fresh-faced and absolutely stunning. The moment she comes down those stairs, your eyes are fixed on her. She twirls, snaps and twists her way through the song making it even more memorable.

3. O Haseena Zulphon Wali from Teesri Manzil


I love everything about this song. Not only does this song have Helen dancing to the best of her abilities but as a bonus this song also has the one and only Shammi Kapoor. I love the hint of competition between Shammi Kapoor and Helen. Both of them together make this song unforgettable for me.

4. Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja from Caravan


Only one person could do justice to this song - Helen. She is amazing in this song. She plays the character so well. I remember watching this song when I was younger. I was completely mesmerized by Helen and her dancing then and I still am.

5. Mehbooba Mehbooba from Sholay


Helen is so sensuous in this song yet she never seems over-the-top. I like that no matter what she does, she still manages to look graceful. Many have tried to re-do this song but all have failed. No one can ever match up to Helen's grace and sensuousness.

6. Is Duniya Mein Jeena Ho Toh from Gumnaam


This is a really upbeat song and Helen adds more light to it! This song is all about cheering up and enjoying life. Watching this song makes me smile and want to dance at the beach (just like Helen)!

7. Aao Na Gale Lagalo Na from Mere Jeevan Saathi


Helen is the perfect personification of Asha Bhosle's voice. Asha Bhosle's voice complements Helen so perfectly. I just love the way Helen interprets the song. She is sensuous, yet graceful. If this song was being made today, I can't even express the horrible images that are coming to mind.

8. Aaj Ki Raat from Anamika


Helen grooves her way through this song effortlessly. I love how she can portray emotions through her dance. Even though this song sort of reminds me of the feel of Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja, I still enjoy it. Shoobu Shoobu Shoobu Shoobu Shoobu.

9. Ae Naujawan Hai Sab from Apradh


Apart from Helen, this song also features the bubbly Mumtaz and the stylish Feroz Khan. I love the way Helen moves through this song. She is very rightly proclaimed as the Queen of Bollywood Cabaret.

10. O Meri Jaan Main Ne Kaha from The Train


I still remember the first time I heard this song. My dad just purchased a CD of RD Burman hits. I couldn't stop laughing. The breathless singing made me giggle uncontrollably! Watching this song confirmed by belief that only Helen could do this song. She moves elegantly across the dance floor and works her magic as always!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely list, i'd add karle pyar kale from Talash not only for Helen but the whole props, costumes everything. Here's the video
    http://vimeo.com/10567747

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! Karle Pyar Karle is such a classic Helen song!

    ReplyDelete